Sunday, September 23, 2007

In which Din Din contemplates her future.

I mean the distant future. So far I see as ahead as two to three years beyond undergrad. A year off, WWOOFing and backpacking if funds allow, and then my service in the Peace Corps promoting ecologically sound and efficient farming techniques.

But after that? I need money. Could I stay in the Peace Corps and bind myself to that service? Probably not. There will come a point when I will want to choose where I go and how long I stay. But where? New York City will always beckon. I could catch onto a new wave of artistic counter-culture bound to swell up in the South Bronx. Could I start an artists co-op there? Open a cafe? It'd still be cheap property by then I think...the crime rate can't decline that quickly. Or should I first study graduate art? In the UK? Glasgow or Edinburgh? University of Oregon at Eugene has a lovely little art complex scattered amongst agricultural greenhouses. So I study some more, focus on producing art for a while without having to face the real world without any goods to peddle off.

Then what? Urban artist? Find a place anywhere, not just South Bronx, but San Francisco, Portland, Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Germany, Iceland, anywhere where I can find fresh art and make it too. I can be poor. I can live off of very little if I must and I can train myself to further do that through things like backpacking on a tight budget. I am not limited to Europe or the US, if I have little money then I can go to places like South America and live better there on less. Money isn't exactly an issue as long as I manage some sort of income.

I can write. I write. A free-lance travel writer perhaps, to get me through places. I'm willing to get money through a variety of means. I have several schemes up my sleeve already as to what I can sell that stupid rich folk would buy.

But I hope to find myself again and again on a farm. Maybe my own. Textiles, I imagine...sheep, hemp, cotton, whatever. Chickens, dairy cows, vegetables, they're cool too. All organic and vegetarian, of course. Maybe I'll take on a few WWOOFers.

Hell, maybe at one point I'll have myself a man. Or, who knows, a woman.

And kids named names like Janaki and Shaylee.

No comments: